Hiring fresh graduates from campus can be a great way for companies to bring in new talent and fresh perspectives. However, there are several things that companies need to keep in mind when hiring recent graduates.
In this blog, we’ll explore why hiring fresh graduates can be beneficial, the challenges that companies may face when hiring recent graduates, and what companies can do to overcome these challenges and ensure a successful hiring process.
Why hire fresh graduates from campus?
There are several reasons why hiring fresh graduates from campus can be beneficial for companies. Here are a few:
- Fresh perspectives: Recent graduates may bring new and innovative ideas to the company. They may have a different way of thinking and approaching problems than more experienced employees.
- Up-to-date skills: Fresh graduates are likely to have up-to-date skills and knowledge in their field. They may have learned about new technologies or techniques that more experienced employees may not be familiar with.
- Eager to learn: Recent graduates are often eager to learn and may be more open to feedback and coaching. They may be more willing to take on new challenges and responsibilities.
- Long-term investment: Hiring fresh graduates can be a long-term investment for the company. These employees may stay with the company for many years and grow into leadership positions.
Challenges of hiring fresh graduates
While hiring fresh graduates can be beneficial for companies, it also comes with some challenges. Here are a few challenges that companies may face when hiring recent graduates:
- Lack of experience: Fresh graduates may lack experience in the workplace. They may not be familiar with the company culture, workplace norms, or professional etiquette.
- Need for training: Recent graduates may require more training and onboarding than more experienced employees. This can be time-consuming and expensive for the company.
- High turnover: Recent graduates may be more likely to leave the company within the first few years of employment. This can be costly for the company and can disrupt productivity.
- Unrealistic expectations: Some recent graduates may have unrealistic expectations about their role and responsibilities. They may expect to be given high-level tasks and responsibilities immediately, which can be difficult for the company to accommodate.
What companies can do to overcome these challenges
While there are challenges to hiring fresh graduates, there are also several things that companies can do to overcome these challenges and ensure a successful hiring process. Here are a few tips:
- Provide mentorship: Providing mentorship and coaching can be a great way to help recent graduates navigate the workplace and learn about the company culture. This can also help them develop professionally and become more valuable to the company.
- Offer training and onboarding: Offering training and onboarding can help recent graduates become more familiar with the company and their role. This can also help them become more productive and valuable to the company more quickly.
- Manage expectations: It’s important to manage the expectations of recent graduates. This may involve setting realistic goals and providing regular feedback about their performance. It’s also important to communicate clearly about the company culture and workplace norms.
- Provide growth opportunities: Recent graduates are often looking for growth opportunities and a clear career path. Providing these opportunities can help them feel valued and invested in the company.
- Create a positive company culture: Creating a positive company culture can help recent graduates feel more connected to the company and reduce turnover. This may involve promoting work-life balance, offering flexible work arrangements, and providing opportunities for social interaction and team-building.
In conclusion, hiring fresh graduates from campus can be a great way for companies to bring in new talent and fresh perspectives. While there are challenges to hiring recent graduates, there are also many benefits. By providing mentorship, training, and growth opportunities, managing expectations, and creating a positive company culture, companies can overcome these challenges and ensure a successful hiring process
Interviewer.AI is a technology platform purposely built to support Recruiters and HR teams in finding top talent for their companies. Interviewer.AI is a state-of-the-art video recruiting software that uses AI (Artificial Intelligence) to screen in advance and shortlist the candidates that meet the criteria set. HR teams use the software to make the recruitment process more efficient and shorten the hiring cycle. Learn more about how Interviewer.AI can help your business.
Increase your hiring team’s efficiency using a combination of resume scoring, skill assessment, and asynchronous video interviews.
Gabrielle Martinsson is a Content Writer at Interviewer.AI. She’s a tech geek and loves optimizing business processes with the aid of tech tools. She also loves travelling and listening to music in her leisure.