Structured interviews are a great way to assess a potential candidate’s skills and fit for a role. They can help you avoid wasting time and resources on candidates who don’t fit the job or who won’t be a good cultural fit. By incorporating structured interviews into your hiring process, you’ll be able to find the best candidates for your open positions, quickly and easily.
Research shows that structured interviews can be predictive of a candidate’s future performance even for jobs that are in sunrise industries that didn’t exist a few years ago. But even then, they are rarely used in personnel selection due to the enormous bandwidth it requires to pull it off. However, that may soon be a thing of the past. Thanks to AI-powered video interview software, structured interviews can be implemented swiftly. But before we get into that, let’s dive deeper into the structured interview techniques.
Structured Interview: Types
There are two main types of structured interviews: situational and behavioral. Situational interviews are used to gather information about a specific situation or event. Behavioral interviews focus on understanding an individual’s behavior over time.
- The most common type of structured interview is the behavioral interview. Behavioral interviews use questions that can be used to measure a candidate’s behavioral traits, such as how well they work under pressure and how they handle difficult situations. Structured interviews can also be used to measure cognitive skills, such as problem-solving and decision-making.
- Situational interviews uses predetermined questions to probe for information. The technique allows for the interviewer to tailor the questions asked in order to better understand the specific situation that the interviewee can be in, in relation to the job. This makes it easier for the interviewer to get accurate data. They are most commonly used in research and business settings, but can also be used in other contexts such as training or counseling.
Use Asynchronous Video Interview (AVI) Software to Automate Structured Interview Techniques
Structured interviews are a valuable tool for assessing candidates, but they can be time-consuming and difficult to conduct in person. Asynchronous video interviews offer a way to overcome these challenges, making it possible to conduct interviews with more candidates in less time. In an asynchronous video interview, candidates answer questions posed by the interviewer asynchronously, without the need to have a human interviewer. What’s more, the candidates can take the interview at their own convenience in the next 24, 48, or 72 hours depending on their schedule.
This format allows for more flexibility than traditional interviews, which can be conducted only at specific times that work for both the interviewer and the candidate. Additionally, asynchronous video interviews provide an opportunity for the interviewer to assess nonverbal communication, which is often important in determining whether a candidate is a good fit for a position.
How to implement Structured Interview techniques in your organization
Are you looking to rapidly grow your team, but you don’t have the internal resources to hire new employees? You can save time and money by using our AI-powered video interview software – Interviewer.AI.
Interviewer.AI is an all-in-one video recruitment software that helps you stack rank all applicants by skills required for the job, work experience, educational qualifications, and even softer skills like communication skills, and positive attitude, which are usually assessed during interview rounds.
Find the perfect candidate in no time! Save money and time on your hiring process. Try it for free! Start a 14-day trial period with no credit card required.
10 steps to conduct an asynchronous structured interview on Interviewer.AI:
- Create a job interview – define the role, job responsibilities, etc.
- Select a job function – e.g. sales (hunter), tech, etc.
- The skills required for the job are automatically populated. Deselect if you don’t want to screen for a particular skill.
- Add questions that require a video response. You can also your own structured interview questions category to be used in the future.
- The interview is created. Share the job interview link on LinkedIn, or embed it on LinkedIn jobs, add it to your career page, or send to candidates directly and watch candidates stack rank on your dashboard.
- Easily shortlist candidates and share them with the hiring team
- Let the hiring team decide on who to invite for the subsequent interview round.
- Collect feedback from all the hiring team members in real-time
- Once you hire the candidate(s), mark “Hired” on the platform.
- Check out hiring insights on Interviewer.AI to see the significant increase in productivity and efficiency within your team.
Structured Interview: Benefits
Structured interviews remove bias and help to speed up the time to hire without sacrificing quality. By incorporating structured interviews into your hiring process, you can ensure that you are making the best possible hires for your company.
In conclusion, structured interviews are important to include in your hiring process because they help to ensure that you are making fair and accurate decisions about who to hire. They also provide a more consistent and reliable way to assess candidates, which can be helpful when you are dealing with a large pool of applicants. Finally, by using structured interviews, you can improve the overall quality of your workforce within your organization.
Interviewer.AI is a technology platform purposely built to support Recruiters and HR teams in finding top talent for their companies. Interviewer.AI is a state-of-the-art video recruiting software that uses AI (Artificial Intelligence) to screen in advance and shortlist the candidates that meet the criteria set. HR teams use the software to make the recruitment process more efficient and shorten the hiring cycle. Learn more about how companies benefit with video interviews for hiring. Learn more about how Interviewer.AI can help your business. Increase your hiring team’s efficiency using a combination of resume scoring, skill assessment, and asynchronous video interviews.
Sunny Saurabh is the Co-founder and CEO of Interviewer.AI. At Interviewer.AI, he is focused on building the penultimate step to hire great talent. He wants to make hiring more equitable and help businesses hire top talent effortlessly.